Saturday 22 September 2012

A Severed Head

We frequently get calls from people asking about personal injury claims. I should probably follow through one of these days to see what the scam is because it must be a scam if they are dishonest right from the start of the call.

So a few months ago I got a call from some guy with an indian accent who sounded like he was reading from a script and didn't have a good grasp of the english language. He told me that his records showed that I had had a personal injury. I very enthusiastically confirmed that I had indeed had an injury recently.

"Can you tell me the nature of your injury please sir?"

"Yes, my head was severed"

There was a long silence that I felt I had to fill. "Of course I'm much better now"  

There was another long silence. The line was completely dead and I was about to hang up when the supervisor came on the phone. This new guy sounded as though he had a much better grasp of english language and he sounded much more on the ball.

"Sir I understand you have had a personal injury"

"Yes" I over enthusiastically replied "My head was completely severed"

"Severed?"

"Yes it was completely cut off"

"And how did this accident happen sir?"

"I was walking past a building site and someone dropped a sheet of glass, I was bending over to pick up a penny and the damn thing came down and cut my head clean off!"

"Your head was cut off?"

"Yes, completely severed.. Some passers by picked up my head until the ambulance came. Its amazing what they can do with microsurgery these days. The doctors just sewed it back on"

The supervisor was clearly impressed. "Sir. In all the time I have been doing this job I have never heard of someone having their head cut off"

"Well it surprised me me as well. It was bloody inconvenient and took me months to recover. Do you think I could claim compensation?"

"Oh yes sir you are going to get lots of money"

I'll confess that I can't recall how the call ended, but but he seemed to find the whole thing amusing and we both had a good laugh.

But while I was entertaining him and his trainee, he wasn't scamming someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment